Friday, March 6, 2009

Musings: Who are we?

I was just reading my friend's blog and it was making me think...who are we really?!?

I think that some people have multiple personalities, per se, that they shift between depending on the company they're in. I think that I've even done this myself. Not dramatically so, mind you, but to small degree. But despite my bouts of MPD over the years, I think that I've pretty much stayed true to the essence of who I really am. I may have lost sight of my foundation now and then, but I've always been able to find it again.

In the things that I've been reading and studying about recently, I've been thinking a lot about what I am and SHOULD be about; who I really am and what I'm meant to be. It's been said that the more you do something the easier it gets. I think that this philosophy is also true for being yourself.

Do you know how it feels when you stretch yourself to test out new and different things or ideas? It can be hard to get back to your original shape...you almost feel lost, and your sense of self can become completely abstract. It may even feel like you never knew who you were to begin with before your sense of self became so contorted. When that happens, we have to dig to find our foundation again. Whatever that foundation may be, and however long ago it was placed, it IS there. It can be mighty difficult to do, but if we can be diligent, it can be found. That's where our essence is. That's where we begin and where we find who we really are.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm constantly asking myself this question. I thought by the time I was in my 30's I'd have a better idea. I think I'm getting closer to understanding though. There are so many facets to our personalities and probably different situations bring individual facets out. I don't think I would have questioned my faith EVER if Russell hadn't.

I just hope I can become the person I know Heavenly Father believes I can be. I don't believe it more than I should... but baby steps, right?

Amy said...

P.S. John Denver isn't country. It is Western FOLK. ;-)

Amy said...

Hey you! Update! I miss hearing about you!