Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The "Twilight" Zone and Tales of Snow!

First of all, I flubbed up! I missed the weekly posting mark by ONE DAY! Darn it all!!! Actually I've been meaning to post for the past couple of days but I just haven't had a chance. It's just a little something funny (to me) that I really wanted to make note of...

My dear ol' sister hardly ever reads. She just keeps herself so busy with other things that she hardly ever reads much other than scriptures or church books. However, we've had various maladies making the rounds through the house recently and she was feeling a little under the weather a couple of days ago. We were talking about something, I don't recall exactly, and Twilight was mentioned. She got an interesting look on her face and said something like, "Fine! Give it to me. I'll read it!"
In short, I was pretty happy that she had finally caved. ;o) So THAT happened on Monday night. By dinner time on Tuesday (after about 14 hours reading, INCLUDING in the car and while eating pizza at Sam's Club) she was done and wanting book two, even though I was in the middle of re-reading itmyself! I graciously passed it on for her to read, and once again, by the next night, she was done. Today, however, work threw a small wrench in the works and she was only able to read a little bit here and there between appointments. Alas, since she got home from work she's back on track! Two books in two days so far. We'll see how long it takes her to get through book three.
Since I was such a slacker before, here's a little bit of a backlog. During December, we had several days that it snowed. I know, I know. It HAS snowed here before, but only ever (in the 8 1/2 years that we've lived here) on the west side of town, where we lived. It has NEVER snowed over on the east side since we or my sister have lived here. One of the days it snowed so much (for Vegas) that the Clark County School District actually declared a Snow Day for the next day! I got a few random photos and thought that they should definitely be posted.


The photos above are from the FIRST significant snow that we had on Dec. 15th. Two of them I took when I was on the way to get Rieka from school, and one I took of the front of the school itself. It was pretty interesting to see the teachers' cars all covered with snow. The two photos at the bottom of the lot was the day after. THIS snow, however, was not the one that warranted the Snow Day. THAT snow would be from two days later as shown in the photos below (pay no mind to the inaccurate date on those photos)...

WHAT is THIS?!?


Snow on the EAST side, baby!!! ;o)

The snow hadn't been coming down too very long at the house, but Kaleb said that it had been going all day over at his school, such that he and some other boys had a big snowball fight before he cam home for the day.














And these are a couple from when Lorinda and I went out later that night to go run some errands. They're a little fuzzy, but you get the idea. I'm only disappointed that I didn't get any good ones of the sad looking palm trees. Most of the fronds were weighed down by the snow except for a few sticking straight up on top. Lorinda and I both laughed when we realized that we had the same idea about how those trees looked: like something from a Dr. Seuss book. ;o)


Until next time, love to you all!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

My mind just boggles when I see Las Vegas with a blanket of snow. It kind of makes me laugh.

I'm so glad you are blogging. I need to update mine. You're being a good example for me here, keep it up.

I love you man.